Sunday, October 19, 2008

REALITY BITES

It was pretty much one of the most boring weekends of my entire life. I spent the whole day lying on my bed watching TV and browsing through the gazillions of DVDs that I have bought from Metrowalk. I wanted to go out. Just to go somewhere but it is too hot outside.

Around after lunch, one of my friends (Leo) texted me and asked if I’m doing something and where was I at that time. I replied to him and told him that I’m just in my room doing nothing. After two minutes, my phone rang. Leo was calling.

So, I answered in my usual flamboyant, gay and high-pitched tone that would put Cindy Lauper to shame. But Leo didn't’t respond right away. So, I said “Hello” again. I could hear him from the other line. Then, when he uttered his first words, I knew then that something was wrong. He told me that something harsh happened. I asked him what was he talking about but he didn't’t want to tell it to me over the phone. He asked me to come over to his place so that we can talk about it. At first, I thought that this could be just another drama anthology moment because I know Leo a lot. He is the type of faggot that can come up with an entire tragedy just because he gained a pound. But then, again, I felt that something very serious was up. So I told him that I would come over.

Well, it took me around five hours to prepare and step out of the house. I needed a lot of energy and preparation because Leo lives in Sampaloc, and I was coming from Pasig. So, it’s another voyage to Mecca for me.

I arrived at Leo’s place at around 8pm due to the excruciating traffic along U-belt. On my way, I thought that whatever it is, it could only be two things: either he was robbed by his boytoy or …. He was robbed by his boytoy!

I was about to open the gate to the house and I could already hear Leo crying his brains out. It sounds as if a pig was being butchered right in the middle of Leo’s living room. I thought for myself that it could have been a massacre and I would have turned into a victim. But of course it was the Elsa Castillo in me. I hurried into the house.

As I got into the house, Leo was there slumped on a sofa, sobbing. I immediately approached him and asked what the problem was.

He couldn't’t make himself speak. Initially, I felt his dire attempt to speak up but nothing was coming out from his mouth other than senseless, incomprehensible sounds of suffering with all the tears, sweat and mucous.

I went into the kitchen to grab a glass of water and I let him drink it. After a couple of minutes he calmed down.

He finally told me what was going on. Apparently, he just heard from another friend that Dennis died. Dennis was Leo’s most recent ex-boyfriend and his most loved.

Actually, Leo changed a lot after his break-up with Dennis almost a year ago. He became very bitter, so bitter that an ampalaya would actually borrow bitterness from him. After Dennies, Leo didn't’t have any decent and serious relationships. This is not because he can’t find one but rather he doesn’t want to find one. Leo is goodlooking, smart, and has a stable job. It is very easy for him to grab someone somewhere and that person would forget everything for him. He can make somebody fall for him effortlessly. But after his break-up with Dennis, none of these matter to him anymore.

Until now, it is still a big mystery for us why they decided to end their relationship because for all I know they were almost perfect together. And when we ask Leo about it, he wouldn’t mention why they had to break up.

I spent the night at Leo’s. I watched him drowse off when he was too exhausted to cry.

Now, I’m thinking how harsh reality is. I was actually thinking of writing about happy and enjoyable stuff but I come to think of it, I guess there are more tragedies in our life than comedies. There is more suffering than happiness. I really feel sorry for Leo. I have never experienced losing someone very close and when I saw how devastated Leo was, I would never know what to do when the time comes that I’ll be in his position.

I heard a lot of people saying that everything happens for a reason.

Leo and Dennis had their reason why they loved each other.

They also had their reason why they broke up.

There is a reason why Dennis died.

But I am still wondering what could be the reason why someone has to suffer.

It is really a harsh reality.

Reality bites …. But sometimes … it does not only bite .. it swallows you alive … then spits you alive …. Then swallows you again.

No comments: