Saturday, December 13, 2008

GOT MILK?


I am actually looking forward to see a lot of the most anticipated movies this coming season, but I really do not intend to miss one movie in particular. I've heard about "Milk" a couple of times a few months back, and now it's almost here.

Milk is a message movie, but more importantly, it's an openly proud and entirely self-possessed message movie that wears its progressive rhetoric on its rainbow sleeve.

I really don't know what to expect yet. I have seen the full trailer on youtube and it's already giving me goosebumps.

The movie was directed by Gus Van Sant, he is an openly gay director that etched Finding Forester and Good Will Hunting into the movie history.

Aside from that, the lead role was played by Sean Penn. Aside from being Madonna's ex-husband, he is one of my most favorite actors of all time. I never fail to feel sad whenever I see I AM SAM.

Anyway, "MILK" is a rare bio-epic based from the life of Harvey Milk (1930-1978). He was a trailblazing pioneer in 1977 when he became the first openly-gay person to be elected to political office in the State of California. The outspoken activist had represented San Francisco's Castro District as a City Supervisor for less than a year when he and Mayor George Moscone (Victor Garber) were murdered by Dan White (Josh Brolin), a disgruntled rival and former Supervisor. The assassination turned Milk into a martyr, and to this day he serves as a symbol of courage and hope for homosexuals and lesbians gays everywhere.

This is yet not another gay movie but another epic and moving movie about real life and real people. It was that that it is one of the best movies of the year, and puts Penn at the top of this year's Oscar campaign and Van Sant on the edge of movie history.

No comments: