Tuesday, December 16, 2008

STATEMENT DAY


Yes it was a statement day for us ......

+++++
Nothing really interesting happened today, aside from the fact that we had a THEME DAY in our office and the theme was STATEMENT DAY SHIRT, wherein people have to come in tshirts with all sorts of statements on ‘em. Well the goal is to express yourself with what you are wearin. Nothing too serious though. (And, I have to give credit to Tsokoy for sticking this idea to us, I have to admit it, I stole this from him … *wink)

There are a lot of people who came in the most creative, outrageous, funny, witty and interesting shirts. But I just don’t know on how much of these people really worn the shirt that truly expresses themselves. Some, if not most of them, perhaps worn shirts that has statements that would perfectly describe a character that they’re not but something that they could have been or something that they could be dreaming (or fantasizing) about.

Being constantly insatiable as we are as human beings, we always have desires; make it a healthy or an unhealthy desire. There are a lot of things that we would want to do. And sometimes, due to sudden rush of insecurity and self-pity, we crave to become other people. But as much as we would want to change and become somebody else, sometimes, we can’t afford it. The fear of change may hold some people back from evolving. Or sometimes, we are just too scared to face the risks of taking a different route so we’d rather be mediocre or neutral to be always on the safe zone. Some people would just stay the way they are because it’s more convenient for them. Some don’t even entertain the idea to deviate because of reputation, values, religion, and the way other people look at them. So, we behave in a manner that we think is acceptable for them. There are also times, wherein we would really want to, say be part of a rock and roll band or join a body-building contest but we are too frail-hearted to do so because we‘re conscious of what other people might say or think of us.

I don’t know about the others, but for me, perhaps I could say that I have almost done everything and anything under the sun. I have taken a lot of gambling and risks all throughout my life. I have metamorphosed from being one butterfly to the next. At a very young age, I have moved away from my family and became independent. Through this stage, I have taken a lot of routes and wrong turns. I have done a lot of silly, despicable, and out-of-this-world things. And these made me who I am today. I became stronger, learned from my mistakes and realized my strengths and weaknesses.

I just couldn’t understand how some people could remain so bland and live a risk-free life. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against them, but I just couldn’t begin to imagine how some people manage to get through their day to day life without experiencing the wilder side of things. I know that there are really people who seem to be living in a protective bubble. When they grow up and became worthless and senile, how would they be able to imbibe things to the next generation.


How can we tell how deep is the river if we will not jump to it?

But wait! It just came to me now, how sure are we that these “prim-and-proper-I-don’t-want-to-commit-a-sin” people that we are mingling or working with, are really as pristine as they appear to be? As the old cliche goes, Looks can be deceiving.

Anyway, I guess we are just really different from each other. One person can say that he is the hottest guy on the face of the earth (even though clearly, only his mother believes that). One girl can say that she is sinful (even though in reality she only has broken two out of the Ten Commandments). And then another person can say that she doesn’t know the meaning of the word boyfriend (even though she just had two at the same time). And then another one can wear a rainbow flag (a symbol of pride and diversity, even though he discriminates people with the same preference).

I just realized, perhaps earlier, there are also some people who are already stating a fact with their shirts but some of us are just too blinded with our neatly wrapped judgements about them that we all thought that they were just bluffing.

Well, in the end, life is always full of morons …. errrrr … oxymorons. There are people who are exactly how they appear to be and on the contrary, there are some who are more interesting than the way they express themselves. So, I guess, the most important thing here is that we can’t just judge people by a mere statement.

No comments: